There’s a huge knowledge gap between those who create excellent training videos and…everyone else.
Because after watching 1000s of user-generated videos, we know who has thought through what they're designing their videos for versus those who haven't.
Video experts have a design process for consistently creating engaging, impactful videos.
Now you can have one too.
What is the FOCA Video Creation Framework?
It's a 4-step design process for creating videos based on multimedia theories (e.g. Mayer multimedia theory, van der Meij’s rules for instructional videos) AND lessons learned from watching thousands of videos (AI-generated and human-created) to know what works.
This design framework leads you through an easy-to-follow process of audience analysis, creating an outline for video, choosing the right visual layouts, and driving viewer action at the end of your video.
Here's what the acronym stands for:
- F - Foundation – Who is your audience? What's useful for them?
- O - Organization – How do you structure information for video?
- C - Content – How do you script and visualize your idea in video?
- A - Action – How do you end your video and drive viewer's to take action?
Learn a bit more about how we use this framework to create and grade videos.
How do I learn the FOCA creation process?
Check out our FOCA Certification course. You'll dive deeper into each of the elements, learn some essential skills, and pick up some instructional design theory along the way.
This is a crucial step, so try not to skip it.
We see videos spark and fizzle because the creator didn't prepare their idea for video before hitting record or jumping into the editing booth.
When you do the thinking up front, your video will be faster to create, easier to understand, and more valuable for the viewer.
Serious about making better videos?
Here are some next steps to take:
- Check out the best-in-class Synthesia videos on our Examples page,
- Learn more about the FOCA video framework from our webinars.
- Browse some of our tips, tutorials, and courses on Synthesia Academy.